Tuesday, January 05, 2010

HAVE YOU OPTED OUT OF HOTA?

Yenny Young, wife of Mr. Tong Kok Wai, victim of Romania embassy accident:
We wished we could have more time [before my husband's life support was turned off] but we were given deadline [by the government HOTA team] until 25 Dec only.

As for the organ donation, since he is a PR and did not opt out for HOTA, he had to donate his organ. We were against the idea as we wanted him to pass away naturally, meaning the heart stop by itself.

But the HOTA staff did not allow us to do so, they kept on pressuring us to take off his life support. We begged repeatedly but they refuse to listen to our pleas. In the end, we got the HOTA co-ordinator in charge into trouble too as he took pity on us.

We think that since the way my husband passed away is too inhuman, we wanted to let him go in peace and in one piece.. but .. law is law, there is nothing much I can do to against the law..

The entire interview transcript is at temasek review.


HAVE YOU OPT OUT OF HOTA?

Please spare a thought for your dearest family members and loved ones!

Please do not put your family members in such a humiliating, desperate situation.

By all means, tell them to donate your kidneys - when they are ready. Don't make your family members beg for mercy from the government HOTA team, when they are still not ready to give up hope on you.

Human Battery: Déjà vu!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back. I look forward to more of your enlightening posts.

 
At Friday, February 05, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the human battery have been suck dry. Ha,ha,ha.

Glad that you are back and take care.

 
At Friday, February 19, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are back. Where have you been??

 
At Monday, March 01, 2010, Blogger Carol Soon said...

Dear blogger of The Matrix Island,

Let me first apologise for leaving my request on your comments page, as I couldn't reach you through any other way. I am a PhD candidate from the Communications and New Media programme at the National University of Singapore, and my research examines blogging and collective action. "The Matrix Island" came up in my sampling process and I am writing to you to seek your valued participation in a survey.

WHAT is this study about?
Without saying too much to bias your responses, my study concerns bloggers' online usage, their social networks and their participation/non-participation in activism. Whether you have participated or have not participated in any activism activity, your responses will be vital in helping me gather empirical evidence on blogging and its effects.

WHY should you help?
There has been much talk in the media and in the parliament on the rise of blogging and online discourse. But do blogging really impact civic participation? How does it do so? Your responses to the simple survey will go a long way in contributing to the nascent field of research on blogging in Singapore.

HOW can you help?
The survey involves easy-to-answer questions (e.g. Yes/No, ratings of “1” to “5”) and will take only about 20 minutes of your time. Based on your preference, I can conduct the survey via email (or any other ways you prefer). Just send me an email and I will forward you the survey form.

Please help!
Bearing in mind the potential difficulties in getting an adequate sample for such a study, I would like to stress that every single participation counts. In addition, this study has been approved by the NUS Ethical Review Committee. You have my complete assurance that all your responses will be kept strictly confidential and your identity anonymous.

Do visit http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cnm/research%20students/2006_grad_carol.htm for a brief write-up of my profile (please cut and paste if the link doesn't work). Being a student with no funding support, I am bearing all research costs and appealing to your goodwill (and hopefully curiosity?) to take part in this study.

I look forward to hearing positively from you soon. Thank you for reading this and giving my request your due consideration.

Best regards,

Carol Soon
(Emails: wtsoon@nus.edu.sg and carol_soon@yahoo.com.sg)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home